Alexander MacDonald, a weaver, left the
Isle of Mull in Scotland, and settled in East Lake Ainslie
in 1823. The original land grant totaled 518 acres.
Alexander married Mary MacLean and they had
four girls and two boys. Charles, the second son, established
the first mercantile business here in 1848 and built this
house in the mid-1850's His store served East Lake Ainslie
and nearby communities for many years.
In 1876 the first post office was opened
in this house with Charles MacDonald as postmaster. The post
office remained here for more than 75 years. It closed in
1956 with the introduction of the rural delivery system.
The MacDonald homestead was of great importance
to the local community in providing news, staples of life
and a means for farmers to sell their goods to the growing
population of Eastern Canada.